Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Doubt in the Alchemist

After reading the Alchemist I sort of forgot about the book. It ceased to concern my thought. One day, while driving along 19th street and thinking on my capstone paper I had a connection with the Alchemist. I found it odd because I didn't think the book effected me that much, or had any impact on me. My capstone paper is about the concept of time. I wrote on how time past can create doubt from the uncertainty of our memories. The Alchemist fit perfectly into this idea because of the constant doubt that filled Santiago. I never thought of doubt as being negative, but the more I dwell on it, the more I realize doubt sucks. It is the questioning of ourselves and our past. Doubt fills our daily decisions and without doubt we wouldn't hesitate on following our "personal legends." Its doubt that makes us choose a safe path. Fewer and fewer people act spontaneously and its common for people to stay boring. Instead of having adventures and being daring we stay at home and watch TV. Doubt has forced us to choose the easier path. We doubt ourselves which makes us doubt our abilities and our possibility to succeed. We need to realize the influence of doubt so we can recognize when it interferes with our ultimate goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment