Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Paper?


Because I've become such a Wallace Stevens finatic, I figured I might as well incorporate him into my final paper (and I know I'm not suppose to start a sentence with because). Because I feel that it is relevant to my descussion. I was thinking about writing on the nature of divinity presented in the characters that have been in the novels we have been reading. I made a list: There is, of course, Prospero. He is the epitamy of divinity in a novel. We've said in class that Prospero is that guy who's been around forever. Been there, done that. There is then Samuel Becket. I loved the idea of a character who killed off other characters. I felt by creating such a character that an author was acting as a divine being. He gets to choice whether a character lives or (da da dum) dies. Next I thought of, Vico. He came up with the idea that there are ages of men, the gods, the heros, and the demonic/chaos. I think it would be interesting to research that subject in greater detail. Lastly, there is Wallace Stevens. Now, here's the poem I want to incorporate, tell me what you think.

SUNDAY MORNING
II
Why should she give her bounty to the dead?

What is divinity if it can come

Only in silent shadows and in dreams?

Shall she not find in comforts of the sun,

In pungent fruit and bright, green wings,

or else In any balm or beauty of the earth,

Things to be cherished like the thought of heaven?

Divinity must live within herself:

Passions of rain, or moods in falling snow;

Grievings in loneliness, or unsubdued

Elations when the forest blooms; gusty

Emotions on wet roads on autumn nights;

All pleasures and all pains, remembering

The bough of summer and the winter branch.

These are the measures designed for her soul.


And remember, if you don't have anything nice to say then say it in a nice way. Thanks for your input.

No comments:

Post a Comment